Water Lily

Water Lily

Monday, December 22, 2014

Triathlon and locs...what to do?

Disclaimer: the information shared in this blog is for informational purposes only. Please consult your cosmetologist, loctitian, barber, or anyone else you trust with the care of your hair and scalp, that's not me. : )

Since I have ventured into the world of triathlon I've had requests to discuss how I maintain my hair, especially with swimming. Well, I don't know that I'm the best resource for this since I contemplate cutting my hair daily, but I will share what has worked for ME. Again, this is what has worked for me.

Pool swimming was my biggest concern because of the chlorine. When I started swimming I tried different swim caps to "keep my hair from getting wet" until learned that swim caps were not designed to keep your hair dry, but to assist you with "gliding through the water." Once I understood that I decided on a couple of caps; the Speedo Long hair swim cap and My swim cap. I've had time to test them both and my favorite is actually the Speedo. I'm not saying that My Swim Cap is not good, but I've recently started swimming with earbuds and My Swim Cap has to cover your ears; this jams the earbuds deep into my ears and that hurts.

As for hair care, I will break this down into activities:

Running/Cycling:
Both of these activities I wear something on my head. When I run I wear a cap or visor and of course I wear my helmet while cycling. With that, gone are the days where I can sport the cute updos or the curly loc styles. With the updos my helmet does not fit and I'm not that vain where I will wear my helmet perched atop my hair to keep from messing it up. As for the curly style, once I sweat the curls are pretty much gone in few days.  In addition, with the updos my hair does not dry completely and my locs would stink...like mildew and I can't have that. Currently I wear my locs braided (usually 6 locs per plait) or straight.  After working out I blow dry my hair and scalp and twice a week I spray my scalp with water, blot dry, and I spray my scalp with tea tree oil and almond oil (different days).  The tea tree oil helps with the mildew smell and acts as an anti fungal, however my hair smells like astringent. The almond oil is used as a moisturizer.

Swimming:

After every swim I rinse my hair, but I don't always shampoo and I apply the almond oil. Typically it is only my edges and the nape of my neck that are wet. I do not apply conditioner or wet my hair prior to swimming, I find that it makes my cap slide off and when the edges get wet her comes the conditioner.

There you have it; and you thought locs were low maintenance!?! They are not and this is why I contemplate cutting them every day. Who knows, I may trade in my "long hair cap" for one that for "not so long hair."

Until next time,

Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment