Water Lily

Water Lily

Monday, April 27, 2015

Spring Fling Sprint Triathlon-My First Open Water Swim

Sprint Triathlon-Eve

I woke up excited and carefully checked off each item I would need (or thought I would need) for my race. I noticed that my race kit was wet, so I quickly tossed it in the dryer...

"The Kit!"
I had a busy day. I cleaned. I studied for a test. I practiced my transitions. I helped with Dorian with a prom photo session. We drive to 1 hour to Lagrange. We drive to locate the park. We go back to the hotel. Oh, I forgot to post my pre race picture of my cute tri kit (tri top with matching shorts)*insert sound of record scratching here*  I can't find my kit. I know I packed it because I checked it off my list. I'm frantic. I ask Dorian if he had moved stuff around in our suitcase. He had not. I stop. I sit on the bed. I call T'Lai and ask her to check our bedroom. My workout stuff room. I asked her to FaceTime me so I could scan my rooms. "Oh F@#k...I remember...my kit is in the dryer!!! I cry. Yes, I cried. I simply could not believe it. When I cried out in utter disbelief of what I had done, Dorian would reply "shit happens, we're only 1 hour away. It could be worse." I will drive home, get your kit so you can rest." I could not let him drive home, I knew he was tired. I felt horrible. He had been awake since early morning preparing for and hosting his Saturday morning radio show (Check out the Grove Lounge on Orange Room Radio 9-12 every Saturday orangeroomradio.com), he had a prom photo session after that (Griot Photography) ,and he now he was fooling with me and my anxiety about being in town the night before the race. Anyway, We drove 1 hour back home to get my race kit. We drove 1 hour back to Lagrange. We go to sleep. I. HAVE. THE. BEST. HUSBAND. EVER!


THE. BEST. HUSBAND. EVER!


Race day-The morning-4:15 am

The alarm sounds and I got right up. Although I slept 4 hours, I felt refreshed and surprisingly calm. My "poo plan" was well executed. I took a shower and ate a banana while I filled my water bottles with my race nutrition/hydration. I checked my gear bag against my checklist several times to make sure I had everything I needed, I did. I was wearing my race kit, so I was not concerned about leaving it behind (I still cannot believe I forgot my kit).

Check In-5:33 am
We arrive at the park and head towards volunteer check in. Since Dorian volunteered, we were able to park right at the finish, which was also very close to transition. Dorian checked in and I grab my stuff and head towards transition.

I arrive at transition and the racks were assigned; I find my number and rack my bike. As I set up my transition mat I could hear Coach Richard saying, “Walk through your race. What are your swim needs? Transition. What are you bike needs? Transition. Then run needs.”  I set up my mat. I looked at the entry/exit points for the swim/bike/run. I change the set up. I was pleased. I head to over to body marking and went straight to Dorian, then off to pick up my chip.  So now what? 

Other people started arriving in transition and I struck up a conversation with “Ann” because she just looked like a nice person. She was and gave me some great tips. I started to see familiar faces, and thought, “I know her, she swims with Pete!” She must have thought the same thing because we started walking to towards each other like we were old friends. We hug and ask each other “what’s your name again?” It was Tiffany. Tiffany so supportive and shared with me “you looked strong in the water last week, you’re going to rock this!” Next I see Derrick from Black Triathletes Association, we hug and we finish taking care of our business before transition closed.  

0630
All of sudden I started feeling nervous and remembered that I did not complete my morning mediation and prayer; I head back to our very cush parking spot and took care of that very important business.

0640
I head back to transition feeling pretty calm, and begin the process of getting into my wetsuit. Now, if you’ve never had the opportunity to wear a wetsuit, let me tell you, it is like putting on Spanx that are two sizes too small. Yes, that tight. However, thank goodness for products that help you ease that sucker up. I got it on in 10 minutes, and guzzle down my pre race UCAN.
Hmmm, now I have to pee.

0650

I head towards the water to warm and I see another familiar face from the BTA Facebook page, it’s Frances. Before I could say anything, she asked me if I belonged to BTA, she said my name and we hugged like old friends. I also met Veronica who is also a member of BTA, she was volunteering. We all chatted and took pictures before Derrick, Frances, and I headed into the water to warm up. 
Veronica, Me, Derrick, and Frances #BlackTriathletes




















0700ish
I head into the water and bob up and down to adjust to the water and fill my wetsuit. I set my sights on the first buoy and head out to warm up. I felt great. I did not feel restriction in my chest or arms, and my breathing was easy. When I got out, Dorian said, “You looked really strong, baby.” I felt really strong too.


Next up...THE RACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment